Today’s guest is Dr. Kim Perkins – an organizational psychologist and executive coach who blends her adventures and research, with a deep passion for helping leaders make the changes their teams need to get to the next level of performance.
From the creators of the groundbreaking Sports, Energy and Consciousness Festival™ comes Omni Athlete™, a new weekly interview show that explores the perspectives of the world’s highest achieving mind, body and spirit competitors to learn their secrets for accessing peak performance. Co-hosted by Rich Walcoff and Josh Crist, Omni Athlete is designed to give athletes the techniques and knowledge they need to access their peak performance state. Subscribe for new episodes every Tuesday.
- “Sometimes you have to be last in order to be first” [3:55]
- “People have to opt-in to competition to make it something that promotes excellence.” [7:12]
- “One way to bring a team together is to keep them focused on the nastiness of the terrain rather than how it’s necessary to fight each other.” [20:30]
- “As leaders, we think that everyone is motivated by the same things we are.” [31:32]
- “I love that feeling of playing with gravity.” [34:50]
- “When you hold back your resources get limited and when you give it everything, suddenly you find more to give.” [44:00]
- The difference between looking at teams with a mechanical view vs. a dynamic view [0:30]
- Leveraging a dynamic view of relating to competition [15:00]
- Keys to building strong social bonds and psychological safety within teams [13:58]
- Being responsive and sensing when planning [24:35]
- How we have come to misunderstand Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs [26:10]
- How her self-identity evolved after her career as a professional athlete [39:00]